dimanche 6 octobre 2013

Those letters of love......................

After much sorting into date order I am hoping to get the first letters translated this week. It is going to be a huge job;  I estimate there are at least 300 letters, telegrams and postcards to sift through.





From what I can see the correspondence begins in 1933  - and it was wonderful to find that there are two batches for that year. Letters written from  "Jean" to "Yvonne" ( and using her maiden name so they were obviously unmarried at that time) and a separate batch with her replies. The beginning of their romance.


As soon as I have the first ones translated I will start the new blog as I am as intrigued as you to follow their story.

Initially I found the batch at a brocante and planned to put them into batches, tied with ribbons to sell as decoration pieces.

After realising there is a full romance here and possibly a tragic end I now realise we have to discover the full story. When we have done that I think then that I shall try and trace any family members and return these letters back to where they belong. If that is not possible I think they should go to  French war museum.

Waiting with baited breath..........

3 commentaires:

  1. OMG, it's like waiting for the new series of Downton Abbey. I'm so looking forward to this. It could be monumental. So excited.
    Di
    xoxo

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I agree with Yonks above, waiting with bated breath Shirley. I have the Kleenex ready.
    Jo xx

    RépondreSupprimer