lundi 7 novembre 2011

Trompe l`oeil at the chateau...............

Our own renovations are moving on apace; my office has a floor, walls, new roof, a second floor with a staircase, large French windows that open out into the garden and the marshland beyond - and a rear door that opens on to the drive so that when I arrive home with new treasures they can go straight in! We are awaiting the arrival of our electrician Monsieur Patrick - and as soon as the wiring is in it should only be a case of plastering and I will be in! The new simply chateau HQ!!

Our new salon lounge also now has a floor, beams ready for a ceiling, windows, the fireplace is almost in situ and, again, once Patrick has finished the electrics it will be time for plastering - and for us to make decisions on colours and decorations. I change my mind almost daily! Pale French grey and white; creams and buffs with a touch of Aubusson green; decadent deep cranberry silks and velvets with a twinkling lustre chandelier....who knows where it will go! Just when I think I have made a final decision something crops up and turns my head again!!!

Today I truffled out the most amazing old 19th century prints of "trompe l`oeil" designs that had been sent to a local chateau for the owners to choose their decorations. Now they really did get my creative juices flowing for 'over the top' design ideas for the salon!

These designs were offered as designs for the chateau by a decorateur painter called Monsieur Glaise who worked in the late 1800s.

Can you imagine having an artist to paint these wonderful scenes..............

stunning faux drapes and tassels.............................
a balcony and garden scene........................

regal Republique Francaise flags with gilded finials.........................I could definitely see this above the fireplace!

Divine flower-filled urns and oil lamps................



There is no way I could ever find someone with those talents today so I have decided to keep a few for framing - and list the others on my Ebay site.

But ........if only...to have an outdoor 'champetre' party with a setting like this..................!

I wonder if Patrick has any other talents besides wiring?!!!

A la prochaine mes belles....................

3 commentaires: